Please visit the Events Calendar page for a list of forthcoming village events.
West Challow Village Hall is situated in a rural setting at the edge of the village. The hall was officially opened at 8.00pm on June 30th 1951 by Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman who lived in nearby Wantage. He was given an engraved silver penknife in a formal presentation by Mr Stratton, the oldest inhabitant of the village. A fete was held on the same day. The Parish Room in The Old School House which had been used prior to the opening of the new hall since 1894 was closed for social, recreational and educational purposes from June 30th 1951.
Over the years the hall has been the venue for a variety of events, including WI Meetings, beetle drives, film shows, a boys’ club, the mobile library, jumble sales, children’s parties…it even hosted a Vicar and Tart’s party. The hall is still the focus for social events ranging from plays, open bar evenings and quiz nights to the local polling station. The hall is also available for private hire and both residents and non-residents can be assured of a warm welcome.
For an updated list of social events please see the Events page. Facilities include a stage and a main hall area, off which are toilets; a kitchen which houses an induction hob, microwave and a dishwasher, and a bar area. The main hall is 6 x 13 metres, excluding the stage. There is parking at the rear of the hall.
The Parish Council is the Custodian Trustee but the management and upkeep of the hall is the responsibility of the Village Hall Management Committee. It is a Registered Charity (1007850).